Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Pharmacist life


Yesterday, a child about 2 years old come to my pharmacy to look for gum swelling medicine. After looking at it , i realized he have a serious gingivitis and swollen gum, so i decided to dispensed him Vitamin C tablet 100mg to be taken once daily. Then to brush the teeth everyday.

Today a relative of the parents came and said why i give him vitamin C and not the medicine. She said she always went to a pharmacy in town and always get the medicine. She said she read from the vitamin C leaflet, it is "makanan tambahan", and 100mg is for 7 years and above.

Reason of me dispensing
1) The gum swelling prob has been persisted again and again. There is no point giving pain killer again.
2) The teeth has been so bad, that i suspected he has been eating a lot of sweets. Giving him vitamin C chewable hopefully will substitute the sweets.

The parents came to pharmacy asking for advise, and i have do my best trying to introduce something to cure the child prob. Yet, they don't trust me after been influenced by their relative. I would like the child to have a good set of teeth when he is big, (not like me).

When this child reach adulthood, dont blame me for his bad teeth, dont blame the parents, but blame on his busybody relative.

Updated 8.15pm:
The father came back and say they believe me. He is working outstation, so he don't know about his son condition. He believed his mother always give sweets to his son, that is the main reason his teeth spoiled. The relative is the caretaker only. I am both happy and relieved now. Hahaha...

5 comments:

Pang Wee Siang said...

What to do? They know more than us and want to seek our advice. There is a saying, if you want to die, no one will stop you, but in the end dun blame the ppl who has stop you from doing so.

Really sien.... as a pharmacist..

Zitrone said...

i don't get it. vit c is water soluble, excess of it can be passed out. why would a leaflet advise that 100mg is for 7yrs and above ???

funny.....you didn't advise them to go to the dentist ?

pharmalogik said...

i have feeling that the parent's wont bring him to dentist. anyway, if his condition does not show any sign of recovery, the dentist visit is the only option.

i have one dentist friend here also. Dr Lim, are u there? I will refer to u if they come back.

Ted said...

I'm sure many of us dealing with people will face this kind of things. If they don accept our advise well, we shd not take it too personally. I believe you are trying to do ur best for him but not everyone will think so.

eLyza said...

Hi

I came across your blog while browsing some info on paracetamol.

yeah, same thing happened to me too. To make it worst, even my own dad doesn't believe in my advise. But being a person who cares abt others, how can we stop advising ppl right? he he

eLiza